Research activities have the following objectives: enhance wheat value chains on a sustainable basis; reduce food importation from other continents; offer farmers better access to markets; and improve livelihoods and tackle poverty through the enhanced capacities of beneficiaries in order to achieve sustainable development for the region.
SARD-SC Wheat researchers are implementing activities according to four main components:
- Agricultural technologies and the generation of innovations
- Agricultural technologies and the dissemination of innovation
- Capacity development
- Efficient project management
Researchers expect the following outputs:
- A 20 per cent yield increase in wheat
- An increase in average annual household cash incomes – up to $600
- A 20 per cent increase in food security – from 73% to 84% by the end of the Project.
The technologies, wheat varieties, and practices developed over the course of the initiative will be made available as international public goods – extending their benefits globally.